Monday, July 5, 2010

Tips in Lecturing 1 : What to look for in The design of Slide.

Preparing my lecture slides for gravitation and my husband is overlooking my shoulders.  He says that " You have nice slides...maybe you should document some tips for lecturing."  Okay...so here I share some things I take note of when I design my slides, in case I forget.

  1. Ideas on each slide must be clear.  Have only sufficient words to allow you to recall what you want to say.  Point form is great....students can read notes....and they should be encouraged to study from notes and texts. 

  2. Put the concept that you want to say on the title.  Keep to one concept per slide, too many concepts the student may miss the point.  Only use more than one when you need to review previous concepts or do a consolidation at the end.

  3. Also put the reference to the lecture notes or textbook on the slide title.  This allows the students to refer to the elaborations when they review the slides.

  4. Make it aesthetically appealing.  Highlight key words in bold and colour.  Add a diagram, photo when possible.

  5. Check your font size is sufficiently large to be ready by your last row of audience, you can check it with students in the first lecture and make adjustments.  Usually I keept to trebuchet at least a font size of 20. I avoid Times New Roman cause the words tend to too thin.

  6. When developing arguments I tend to rehearse what I want to say when I design my slide and animate the points when they come out.
Yap that is it for now.....will write more when I think of more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Picapp Widget