Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Recommended Textbooks for Advanced Level Physics Part 3 : United Kingdom Text - Advanced Level Physics by Nelkon & Parker


Textbook Reviewed :  Advanced Level Physics (by Nelkon & Parker)


This was the classic text used by most Singapore schools at the time that when I was still a student.  The current edition is much better than the 6th Edition, which I felt the paper was so thin that I was so afraid to tear it.  It is still one of the key British texts that I constantly refer to, maybe I was familiar with the lay out.

What I Particularly Like About The Text:

This is a text particularly suited for the A-level syllabus.  It contains much information especially on experiments that students particularly need for the A-level examination.

I always recommend this as a reading text for my students, as I find it helps the students to hone the way they write  (in a scientific manner).  Language and arguments are done in a formal manner and it does improve the quality the students write.  Since the A-levels are set by UK examiners, it is best to understand what the examiners are saying.  This helps in understanding of the questions set in the A-levels examinations as well.
  

This is also a good text as it covers everything and also beyond the A-level syllabus, which is good as A-levels do expect the student to be informed beyond the syllabus and provides good grounding.  (Btw, the O-level text - "Principle of Physics" is particularly good...helped me score my distinction in Physics when I did my O-level....was utterly grateful for it.)


What I feel needs to be improved:

The same with all other British texts, I hope to see a version of text with :

  • more colour
  • highlighting of the more important points in boxes esp. the essential definitions and explanations.
  • Layout can be more friendly and aesthetically done
  • More pictures (hopefully colourful ones)
  • Have scaffolding questions before dumping the students with the examination style questions which are nevertheless important.
AbeBooks.com - Find Books on Sale

No comments:

Post a Comment

Picapp Widget