Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Competency Tests in A-level Physics

After teaching for so many years,  I would like to consolidate some of the questions and design a series of test to assess my students ability towards A-level physics.  This series of tests will be topical based and matched towards the learning outcomes required that for A-levels,  I will also identify key skills that would be required each topic and break down the learning outcomes into smaller key concepts.  Research on misconceptions will be done for each topic and consolidated.  Then I will design questions for each topic.

I believe this topical tests will be useful for students and teachers.  Teachers can use it to assess problems that students may have pertaining to each topic and may design instructional programmes or remediation programmes with further emphasis on the weaker areas that the students may have pertaining to the topic.  Students can also use it to assess how well they have learnt a particular topic.

Since the tests are meant to identify key weak areas, multiple-choice questions will be designed.

I have started work on the topics and will take about two years to finish.  I intend to do reliability and validation studies on the topical tests as well.

I welcome any feedback to any misconceptions other teachers may have on any topics in A-levels and any suggestions pertaining to what should be placed in the question bank.

I believe that this test will also be useful for students taking AP (B) Physics and those students in the IB syllabus, with some tweaks as Physics will fundamentally be Physics and there are similiarities to be seen across the syllabi.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Picapp Widget