Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Interesting Video : Newton's Dark Secrets

NOVA: Newton's Dark Secrets (2005) 

Newton's Laws of Motion together with the study of dynamics forms the foundations of classical physics.  The A-level syllabus and hence the school dedicate alot of the time, especially in the first year in teaching of Mechanics.  My students are always facinated with Newton, his discovery of the three laws and then the Law of Gravitation.  They had also earlier, in their secondary school studied on Optics, where they read about Newton splitting the light into its various colours.  Usually students who do Physics will also do Math and also encounter Newton - Rhapson Method in the approximation of roots.

This "Father of Classical Physics" has therefore also astounded my students with his discoveries.  Sometimes I like to add a little twist to my lessons and therefore, if I have the time, I always like to show this video to my students as it forms a nice ending to especially the study of Mechanics.  My students are always surprised to find that Newton was afterall very human and had weird habits (having an obsession of alchemy and also trying to calculate the end of the world).  Though this video does not show the best side of Newton, it shows his passion and thirst for knowledge had also interest my students to find out more about other Physicists.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Picapp Widget